- 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemongrass stem, white part only, thinly sliced (although if you use the stuff in a tube, few will notice)
- 2 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 medium sweet potato (kumara), cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth or white wine
- 2 Tbsp of Thai fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- A handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a wok on a medium-high heat and partially brown the chicken for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add onion to the wok and fry for about 2 minutes or until translucent. Add a little more oil if the wok gets dry. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the lemongrass and fry for another 30 seconds. Add the tumeric, curry powder and chili powder and fry for 1 minute.
Add the sweet potato (kumara) and sugar. Stir well. Add the coconut milk, broth or wine, fish sauce and cilantro. Stir well to combine and bring to a boil.
Once the curry is boiling add the chicken and then turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Serve curry on a bed of jasmine or basmati rice and garnish with more cilantro.